The Epigraphic Museum of Athens that is housed in the south side of the National Archaeological Museum was founded in 1885 to enable the protecting, preserving, studying, and exhibiting of ancient inscriptions on stone. It houses the largest collection of ancient Greek inscriptions in the world, on which are written the primary historical sources that provide valuable information for all aspects of the economic, political, religious and social life of antiquity. The majority of these are from Athens and Attica, though there is also a considerable number from the rest of Greece and from Asia Minor. Most of the inscriptions are written in Greek, though some are in Latin and a small number in other languages (Phoenician, Hebrew, and Ottoman). They range from the 8th c. BC to the Early Christian, Byzantine and later times.
The Museum occupies an area of 4.869, 413 m2 and consists of an outer and an inner courtyard, a vestibule, eleven rooms, storerooms, a laboratory of conservation, a library and offices. The areas open to public are the outer courtyard, the vestibule, four of the rooms (1, 2, 9, 11) and the inner courtyard. Next to the Museum is the Centre of Epigraphic Studies that consists of a room for temporary exhibitions and conferences, offices and a library.
The Epigraphic Museum participates in the research program titled “Applications of Situated Simulations” in the frame of the National Action “Research-Create-Innovate” which aims to create an integrated simulation for the promotion of cultural heritage using innovative augmented reality technologies.
This application will be implemented at the Epigraphic Museum based on the information that is provided by the inscribed stele that includes the specifications for the construction of the arsenal of Philon in Peiraeus, the building (dimensions 18x131m.), where the hanging tuckle of the military fleet were stored. The inscription has been found at the N side of the Zea harbor in 1882. It is dated in the 4rth cent. B.C. and is exhibited in gallery 9 of the Epigraphic Museum.